A quick breakdowns of Hog victories with highlights from WarMachine2013!
Arkansas: 61, Mississippi State: 45
- 0:45 – Hogs have 3 points in the first eleven minutes of this matchup. This is where we are missing an elite scorer like Mason Jones. Moses continues to be the guy to get us out of slumps but this effort would not hold up against a better team. We have also seen flashes of this from J.D. Notae but not nearly consistent enough.
- 0:56 – Devo’s length continues to allow him to finish at the rim in transition. Would be nice to see a little more aggression from him when we are struggling on offense.
- 1:33 – A turning point in this game. That is a play that reminds you of some of the grit from a Mike Anderson team and something this team needs to continue to look for. Desi Sills has been the answer at times but has also lacked in consistency.
- 2:30 – We see Devo hesitant on the open 3 ball (which he shoots at a 40% clip) but makes up for it with a great drive and dump to Vanover. Would like to see more confidence from Devo as he has looked like a really efficient player of late.
- 3:18 – Vanover doing what 7’3 guys can do. If he could add some post moves and some weight he could be very dangerous in coming years. That is a massive IF.
- 4:03 – Arkansas struggles defending the perimeter. Yet they continue this half court trap. Makes little sense to me but they also forced 26 turnovers on the night.
- 4:17 – Devo with the filthy no look, if you missed it live you should rewatch it now.
- 5:00 – Vanover with the over the top pass. This is where he could really be deadly if we continue to look for it. That pass has led to some turnovers this year but can really help break down zones if he can execute a higher rate.
Overall Take: Musselman has to figure out how to get out of the gate faster. It’s nearly every game that the hogs come out slow and sloppy. Vanover might actually want to start playing more down low on offense and we will see if Musselman encourages that in the future. Moses and Devo continue to be difference makers and will likely see more action both in minutes and offensive in usage down the stretch of the season. Ugly win but a win in SEC play.
KenPom Breakdown: The hogs moved from 30th the 27th after Tuesday nights home victory over the Mississippi State Bulldogs.